Monday, May 28, 2012

X-Post {30th Wedding Anniversary}

Earlier this month, my parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary!  30 busy, wonderful, happy years together!  How amazing, especially considering how few couples see that many years together in this day and age.
I helped host a surprise anniversary party for them Monday night, while all our family was still in town (remember Audrey's graduation just two days before?).
 There's something so satisfying about watching a pile of materials like this:
Photobucket
Turn to this:
Photobucket
All the way into THIS:
Photobucket
I secretly borrowed their wedding album and some old albums from their first years together and compiled them to create the 30 poster. I scanned everything so as not to damage or ruin the original. The wedding album is on the table next to the cake for everyone to "re-live" the big day.  We rented the table linens and napkins and silverware/plates from a local rental company, I hired the girl who did my baby shower cake to do a small wedding cake, and I made centerpieces and pennant banners to help pull it all together.
The day of the party I had plenty of helpers in town to help me set up.  My uncle did a great job tying bows onto the centerpieces!
Photobucket
The caterers are actually a really nice and yummy local restaurant in town (right across from this lovely venue we rented! This house was perfect!) and they took care of everything.  They brought in a grill to be sure the filets were cooked to choice and supplied a server who took orders, rinsed dishes, and helped us set tables.  She was delightful and took a lot of stress off us for the evening.
Photobucket

Growing up, my parents have always loved letting my sister and I know how fortunate we are by reminding us that when they first got married, all they had were two lawn chairs, some milk crates, a box fan, and a box spring and mattress on the floor.  We let them remember how far they've come:
Photobucket
Photobucket
With the centerpieces, I tried to incorporate pearls (its the pearl anniversary, after all) and used engagement photos and a photo-booth strip to decorate the vases.  I just scanned them in and ordered them in 5x7s, cropping them down to 5x5 to fit some glass cube vases I already had.  The tealight candles are up-cycled baby food jars that I decorated with coordinating ribbons.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The guest started arriving right on time!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Aiden was so eager for Grand Mama and Governor to arrive!  He helped keep watch as the time for their arrival crept closer:
Photobucket

SURPRISE!!!!!!!
Photobucket Photobucket
Dinner was served and cameras went down....
Photobucket
Except to capture how much fun Aiden and Uncle Rick were having with the napkin rings:
Photobucket Photobucket
I made the honorary couple cut their anniversary cake together:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
They opened cards and gifts while we had dessert:
Photobucket
A special thank you to Gigi and Captain for all their help and contributions to the party! I couldn't have done it without you!
Photobucket

It wouldn't be us if there wasn't a big photo shoot now would it?

A recreation photo:  father-of-the-bride, maid of honor, bride, groom, best man, and "mother-of-the-groom"   (yes, it's really my aunt BUT at their actual wedding she stood in for my grandmother)
Photobucket

Added the brothers!
Photobucket
And all the A- side of the family.... pretty much everyone who wasn't at the real deal.
Photobucket
I love my parents very much and I'm so awed and inspired by their strong, unwavering commitment to each other and to their 30 years of wedded bliss. 
Here's to another wonderful 30 years together!

No comments:

Post a Comment